Welcome to the Alfreds
Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club
At the heart of every Club are its volunteers. The Club’s sailing program continues to excel with the enthusiasm and commitment from our volunteers. The ability to continue to deliver a first class and diverse sailing program depends very much on the assistance and support of volunteers.
Whether is is volunteering on water or on land with a Club Committee, there is a task for you.
Express your interest to join a working Committee.
Join the Race Officials Team
If spending a free afternoon or an early summer evening on Pittwater, in good company, performing a highly valued club service sounds good to you, our sailing office would love to hear from you. Maybe you are between boats, happy to support your partner racing, new to the sport and / or simply interested in learning how yacht racing or centreboard racing is conducted.
Any level of experience is welcomed, whether a beginner or an International Race Officer, a willingness to be part of a team and provide superb on-water management races is all this is required.
Various roles are required on a weekly basis including;
- Race Officer
- Flag operators
- Committee Vessel Boat Driver – Alfreds I and Alfreds II (the operator must be a Club Member)
- Mark Layer / Support boat – Club ribs (the operator must be a Club Member)
- Dolly/Launch Marshals
- First aiders
The RPAYC is dedicated to mentoring and providing continuous training opportunities for all its Race Officials throughout its Mentoring and Training Program. The program takes the theory of the Australian Sailing Race Officials Course and applies this to on-water practise, additional seminars on Racing Rules, Weather, Mark Laying and Educational Courses (First Aid, Radio Operators, Person Overboard, Boat Operations). All volunteers whilst acting for the club are covered in additional their Australia Sailing Membership are covered under the club’s insurance policy.
It is club policy that if you volunteer for a Keelboat activity you must be a club member which includes membership of Australian Sailing. Those wishing to volunteer for centreboard (OTB) activies are exempt from this requirement to be club members, please note though that Working With Children Checks conditions may apply.
For further information please contact the Sailing Office on 02 9998 3771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the online Volunteer Registration Form or sign up directly to a club event at www.volunteer.net.au
Race Official Resources
Australian Sailing also publishes updates and recommendations for Race Officials, view updates and other useful information here:
- Race Signals Guide
- International Code Flags & Meanings Guide
- Basic Rules Terminology Guide
- Racing Rules of Sailing
- World Sailing Race Management Materials
- Australia Sailing Race Officer Educational Material
- Australian Sailing eLearning Materials, including Power Boat practices, Mark Laying, Safety Code Induction, Protest Member, Ethics, Parents in Sports and much more.
Play by the Rules is a unique collaboration between Sport Integrity Australia, Sport Australia, Australian Human Rights Commission, all state and territory departments of sport and recreation, all state and territory anti-discrimination and human rights agencies, the Office of the Children’s Guardian (NSW) and the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW. These partners promote Play by the Rules through their networks, along with their own child safety, anti-discrimination and inclusion programs.
Play by the Rules provides information, resources, tools and free online training to increase the capacity and capability of administrators, coaches, officials, players, parents and spectators to assist them in preventing and dealing with discrimination, harassment, child safety, inclusion and integrity issues in sport.
Operating Guides for:
User Incident Guides and Training Material:
- Incident Management Guide and Checklists
- Volunteering Certification Checklist
- Race Officer Accreditation Application Form
- Race Officer Appointment Policy
- Person Overboard when using the recovery ladder
- AED user guide (Alfred’s 1 and 2 have AED on board, in addition there are several located at the club).
- Oxygen Therapy (note, the use of oxygen is covered under First Aid training courses).