You may have seen on social media that Transport for NSW is asking for your say to help shape the proposed Maritime Safety Plan 2026. This is an important plan to help reduce fatalities and serious injury on our waterways.
The plan focuses on four key areas:
* safer lifejacket equipment and wear
* safer boating through technology
* safer waterway access and infrastructure
* growing a safety culture
One of the major changes for the recreational boater are proposed changes to simplify and expand lifejacket wear requirements in NSW, with the aim to ensure that the law regarding lifejacket wear compliance is safer and easier to understand. There are two options presented:
‘Option A’ would require mandatory wearing of lifejackets by adults:
* on vessels less than 6m when underway; and
* at all times for vessels less than 6m when boating alone, on alpine waters or between sunset and sunrise (heightened risk circumstances).
‘Option B’ will require mandatory wearing of lifejackets by adults:
* on vessels less than 6m in enclosed waters when underway; and
* on all vessels in open waters in the open area of the vessel when underway; and
* at all times when boating alone, on alpine waters or between sunset and sunrise (heightened risk circumstances).
Both Option A and Option B will be mandating the wearing of lifejackets in vessels under 6 meters when underway for everyone onboard. Option B extends this to all vessels outside of enclosed waters when outside of any cabin.
We would encourage you to click on the link below, read the information and fill out the survey: the survey closes at midnight on 24 September.
More information and survey – CLICK HERE.