At the General Meeting members were presented with the following group of key initiatives on which the Board are currently focussing (CLICK HERE for the full presentation);
- Increasing the Clubs focus on sailing and improving everything we do regarding the sport of sailing
- Improving our Food and Beverage offering
- Building our Club culture to ensure the Club is a fun and enjoyable place to be
- In depth consideration of our Membership package offering
This last initiative was discussed in detail. The Board is eager to create membership packages that better suit individual members requirements and, as such, have developed a draft proposal of two new membership tiers. In the following weeks, we will outline the stories of some fictitious members and how the new membership options will work for them.
This week, we look at the story of Matt and how the proposed membership will affect him and members like him.
Matts Journey to Membership …
- Matt sails on Carls boat on Wednesday and on an occasional Saturday when he is not working - he reckons over the year he may sail about 20 times.
- Carl, a Full Member of the Club, suggests to Matt that he needs to be a Club member if he plans to sail on a permanent basis and then, as a benefit, his insurance to go sailing will be provided through Australian Sailing (AS). Unexpectedly, Matt does not turn up to sail for the next couple of weeks.
- Carl sees Matt crewing on George’s boat. George lets him know that Matt couldn’t afford to join at $596 for the year.
- Matt admits that joining the club at $596 a year plus $220 House Entitlement (total of $816) is “not good value” and too expensive for him – he feels embarrassed but still wants to sail.
- Matt then discovers he can join RMYC for $255 and his problem is solved … he’s a member of a club, his insurance sorted out and, as Matt lives within a 5km radius of the RPAYC, as a member of another club he can be signed in to go sailing at no charge with no problem.
- Under the new proposed Crew Membership Matt could sign up as a member for $25/month (direct debit) and get an AS number, insurance, 10% discount on F&B and parking at Crystal Bay.
- OR … under the new “Sail Pass” Membership, Matt could sign up to Member Point and buy a Sail Pass·for $10 each day, which includes AS insurance. It’s a bit of a quandary for Matt as if he sails around 30 times a year he might as well join as a Crew Member!!
A General Meeting will be called in early June to vote on the Membership Proposal and the Board welcomes your feedback. If you have any questions or comments on the new proposed membership packages please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.