Youth Development Match Racing Squad
The program entails training on Fridays, Saturday and listed Sundays:
Weekday morning: On water training sessions. The morning runs from 0700hrs.
Friday evenings: Fitness/team building is conducted on Friday nights between 1800-1900hrs in the RPAYC gym, by qualified fitness instructors.
Saturday: On water training sessions. The day runs from 0730 to 1130hrs Training | 1230 to 1630 Competition in Club racing.
Sunday: Sundays are also include for match racing regattas and other events. Winter Icebreaker Series race days are also scheduled as a way for participants to cross train, and develop their dinghy racing skills.
All training days are compulsory for participants unless a leave notice has been submitted 14 days in advanced and approved.
Sailors will have the ability to represent The Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club & Australia at National and International events throughout the program. The RPAYC may support specific events which are related to the Youth Development program and which are seen as a valuable asset to the club. Selection trials will be held throughout the year for funded events during the program. Members are selected on a number of criteria including commitment, skill level, availability, position and weight. Each team member will be selected at least 60 days prior to each event. In addition, where participants wish to form a team for a specific event, they may do so & apply for funding through the Youth Competition Support Fund (YCSF).
Key Regatta events:
- 4-8 July Darwin International Youth Match Racing Championships (DSC, Northern Territory)
- 17-22 July 50thGovernor’s Cup & ISAF Youth Match Racing World Championships (BYC, USA)
- 5 Aug RPAYC Grade 5 (RPAYC)
- 12-13 Aug Noumea Youth MR Championships, New Caledonia
- 12-13 Aug Club Marine NSW Match Racing Championships (CYCA)
- 2-3 Sep NT State MR Championships, Darwin, NT (DSC)
- 9-10 Sep Marineasses Regatta (CYCA)
- 14-17 Sep Australian Match Racing Nationals (SYC)
- 16-17 Sep David Lukins Match Race Regatta (RPAYC)
- 07 October Gingernut Cup
- 27 Sep – 1st Oct Australian Youth Match Racing Nationals (CYCA)
- 22-26 Nov HARKEN International Youth Match Racing Championship (RPAYC)
- 27 Nov – 1st Dec MUSTO International Youth Match Racing Championship (CYCA)
- TBA Women’s Australian National Championships
- TBA Feb/Jan Warren Jones International Youth Match Race Champs (RPYC)
- TBA February Hardy Cup (RSYS)
- TBA February CentrePort Wellington International Youth Match Race (RPNYC)
- TBA February Nespresso International Youth Match Race (RNZYS)
Participants must be between the ages of 16-25 years old and have existing sailing experience in keelboats, have a sound dinghy and/or keelboat results at both club, stand and national levels.
All applications will be assessed on merit for the available positions. Course will be limited to 16 applicants.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, 23 March 2018 with successful applicants notified by Friday, 30 March.
$1,100.00 – Members
$1,300.00 – Non-Members
This will include all usage fees for the Elliot 7s, coaching over the period, Gym sessions, sail training material & RPAYC Training & Racing kit.
Where to next:
The YD program is designed to give you the tools to take your sailing to the next level. Former graduates of the Youth Development Program have gone onto the Americas Cup, Olympic Games, World Match Racing Tour, Volvo Ocean Race & Success at world championships.
Some graduates have forged their way in the marine industry through contacts met during their involvement in the program, and are enjoying success in their area of expertis.
Other Graduates are now racing regularly at the club in various fleets such as centerboard, One Design and Keelboats, and are enjoying their sailing competitively in their respective fleets.
Tom Spithill – Club Coach
Phone: 9998 3764